- About KSTA
- Conference Info
Summer PD - Modeling Workshops
Submitted by admin2 on Tue, 03/05/2019 - 12:56
Modeling Instruction is designated as an Exemplary K-12 science program and a Promising Educational Technology program by the U.S. Department of Education. Modeling Workshops™ are peer-led. Content is reorganized around basic models to increase its structural coherence. Participants are supplied with a complete set of course materials and work through activities alternately in roles of student or teacher, as they practice techniques of guided inquiry and cooperative learning. Models and theories are the purpose and the outcomes of scientific practices. They are tools for engineering design and problem solving. Thus, modeling guides all other practices. A short video introduces Modeling Instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG7SOc0Rnks
Each MODELING WORKSHOP has these features:
· Aligned with National Science Education Standards
· Focuses on all 8 scientific practices of NRC Framework for K-12 Science Education.
· Addresses multiple learning styles.
· Addresses student naive conceptions.
· Collaboration, creativity, communication, and critical thinking.
· Systems, models, modeling.
· Coherent curriculum framework, but not a curriculum; thus flexible.
· Compatible with Socratic methods, project-based instruction, etc.
· Science & math literacy.
· Authentic assessments.
· High-tech and low-tech options for labs
This summer, Modeling Workshops™ are hosted in physics, chemistry, biology, physical science, middle school science, a few one-week long Intro to Modeling sessions and the inaugural Astronomy Modeling Workshop.
Physics Modeling Workshops™: Alabama, Arizona, California, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas and Virginia
Chemistry Modeling Workshops™: Alabama, Arizona, California, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Texas, and Virginia
Biology Modeling Workshops™: Arizona, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, and Texas
Middle school/Physical Science Modeling Workshops™: Arizona, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts and Ohio
Curriculum Development: Ohio
For workshop details, please visit the website https://modelinginstruction.org/professional-development/upcoming-worksh...